a writer's journal - politics, music, american culture, esoteric aspects of life, and stories

Wednesday

How the internet is changing things, from my perspective

Today I've been online for an hour and have spent maybe 20% of the time scanning links pages and political blogs, 10% clearing my inbox and examining some photos left there by a friend, and the rest of the time reading articles. This is pretty analagous to my father, who reads the paper and flips through the magazines he gets in the mail for an hour or two each day [he subscribes to about 10 magazines [half of them are car magazines, the others are lifestyle ones such as Men's Health [a gift from me] and Wine Spectator [a gift from me from 4 years ago which he got hooked into, and I think it replaced National Geographic] and gets the Kansas City version of your generic Knight-Ridder paper]. These are things he pays for, needless to say. And he can't read the internet while sitting on the toilet or the couch, because he doesn't have the proper equipment - probably only vaguely knows about wifi.

I was considering doing a post today that followed every page I linked to, as an experiment or demonstration of the difference between my daily indoctrination and that of my father's generation. But I'll just link to the four most interesting things I read:

A particularly great reductio ad absurdum from one of my regular daily stops
A cutesy little puff piece written in style, found from a link dump I check weekly
An atypically interesting bit of reporting, linked to from a humor site I check monthly
An old-fashioned bit of geekery that amused me, found about ten steps down a trail that began with googling "proto-surrealism"

The point is: nothing more than "internet, yay" in a way. Mine's a much stranger daily indocumentation than my father's - as you'd expect; I'm much stranger too. But I think this will help everyone of my generation be made stranger to a greater or lesser degree.
Comments:
I do agree with all of the ideas you have introduced to your post.
They are very convincing and can certainly work.
Nonetheless, the posts are very short for newbies. May just you please lengthen them a bit from
next time? Thanks for the post.

Also visit my website - World Of Tanks Hack
 
Have you ever thought about including a little bit more than just your articles?
I mean, what you say is valuable and all. Nevertheless think about if you
added some great pictures or video clips to
give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with images and
clips, this website could undeniably be one of the most beneficial in
its niche. Good blog!

Visit my web site social bookmark
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?