a writer's journal - politics, music, american culture, esoteric aspects of life, and stories

Thursday

~thought for the day~

Pero el ajedrez es la Ășnica ocurrencia humana que queda fuera del alcance del ser humano.
-Juan José Arreola
 
(...yet chess is the only human occurence outside the reach of the human being)
 
found this while trawling for info about this poet...  in doing so I found reported that interestingly, Borges wrote only a couple poems about chess - too obvious a metaphor, perhaps, for him to use as much as I'd have guessed.  I am tentatively teaching myself spanish, a little a year, and as with french reading poetry is a useful window half open.  But I'm saving Borges' poetry - with which I am almost completely unfamiliar, apart from the most famous occurences - until I have at least some feeling for the moods of the tenses and modes.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?